Springfield Parks and Recreation Clubs
About Springfield Parks and Recreation Department Basketball
- Springfield Residents only
- Must be 5 years old by the March 1st following the beginning of the season. (For example, Taylor signs up on September 13, 2012. She/he has to be 5 by April 1, 2013.)
- Teams are co-ed
- “Bitty-League” is available for 5,6,7 year olds. This league has lower hoops, coaches on the floor, no scores, no standings, focus on instruction and skills.
- No travel outside Springfield.
8-10, 11-12 Divisions
CYO Basketball League Clubs
About CYO Basketball League of Western Massachusetts
According to National CYO Sports, “A diocese, parish or other Catholic institution sponsors a Catholic Youth Sports program, often called Catholic Youth Organization (CYO), as one dimension of its comprehensive ministry to youth”.
It should be noted that a child does NOT have to attend Catholic school or be a member of a Catholic parish to play for CYO sports leagues.
- League is open to non-Springfield residents
- Must be 3rd grade or 8/9 year old age group
- Teams are boy or girl teams, not co-ed.
- Teams travel to participate in games.
- Games are more competitive.
- There are up to 5 “divisions” within each age/grade group based on skill.